James the decorator, providing outstanding quality and dependable services to the local community
The team of professionals behind James the decorator have worked together across Kent and Sussex since 1987. Our experts have extensive industry standard experience in all aspects of interior and exterior decorating. Our business has expanded to include full property maintenance, working with companies which provide complementary services. If you have a project requiring an experienced decorator, residential or commercial – please do get in touch. We offer impartial, free advice (e.g. appropriate colours and tones for infrastructure) so contact us or for a no-obligation quote, visit our get a quote page.
James the decorator makes interior decorating easy
James the decorator’s team of experts provides the local communities of Kent and Sussex with a professional and affordable painting and decorating service. Are you looking for a perfect look for your home? We can give suggestions based on our comprehensive experience. That means guiding you through the wide variety of matching colours and textures to suit the aesthetics you are looking for. We’ll also identify appropriate paints, varnishes or wallpapers. James the decorator understands that your dream home should express your story positively and be inviting, comfortable and smart. The input by our team will complement these aims, exceeding all expectations and, no doubt, be admired by visitors to your home!
What we do
- Covering of all non paintable surfaces (carpets, sofas, curtains, etc)
- General preparation work (sanding, stripping, rubbing down, etc)
- Painting of walls and ceilings
- Painting and fixing coving and skirtings
- Wood sanding, staining and varnishing
- Wood work painting
- Wall paper stripping and hanging
Helping you create your perfect exterior look
Painting the outside of your property is a daunting task. It takes a lot of time and effort, and there are dangerous challenges too. The height of the exterior walls can make you nervous if you’re not used to tackling a project like that. You also have to judge the weather correctly. The team at James the decorator run up-and-down ladders all the time. Why not let us take the hassle of exterior painting out of your hands? Our experts are experienced in painting all types of exterior surface, whether it is wood work, roughcast, pebbledash or brick. We can freshen up your tired wooden sofits and facias; paint or treat your gate and fence; and even give your shed a new look. No job is too small for us, so give us a call or get a quote today.
What we do
- Garden sheds and other out buildings
- Brick and render painting
- Iron works
- Wooden fence and gate painting
Easy decorating for your business with our property maintenance contract
Property maintenance contracts, coupled with the growth of local enterprises, became a popular part of our business in recent years. Our commercial customers have been impressed with the industry standards of our work and our working practises. We have received a number of requests for maintenance contracts for the upkeep of business premises and we’re always happy to help. James the decorator now offers a flexible maintenance contract for businesses. That means we can provide the experts to keep your business looking in top form, whether it’s a simple painting touch-up or implementing a full colour scheme. Call us now for a quote for your business.
Types of businesses we cover
- Industrial units and factories
- Student accommodation
- Educational institutes
- Doctors surgeries and dental practices
- Church buildings
- Office spaces
- Nursing homes
- Hotel accommodation
- Clubs and bars
- High street shops
Frequently asked questions
Can James the decorator provide a reference for previous work completed?
Absolutely, we can provides a number of references from satisfied customers in Kent and Sussex during the past 30 years.
Does James the decorator have insurance?
Yes, we are fully insured for up to £10,000,000 and we’ve previously worked on some larger decorating projects in Tunbridge Wells and Sevenoaks.
Can you provide a written quote?
Yes, we can provide a written quotation either by post or by email. If you are local to Tunbridge Wells, Tonbridge or Pembury, James the decorator will pop it through your letterbox.
Would James the decorator come out and give me a quote?
Yes, James the decorator can visit your home, inspect the potential project, discuss your decorating needs and provide a proper quotation.
Does James the decorator tidy up at the end of the day?
Yes, our professional team treats customers’ houses and premises with respect and affords the same courtesy we ourselves would expect within our own homes.
What do I need to do before James the decorator starts?
You can either clear the room(s) to be redecorated prior to James’ visit or James the decorator will allow time to do this for you. Depending on your requirements and needs, this may encounter additional cost. If your chimney needs sweeping before decorating, we recommend contacting another ‘James’ – James the Sweep: jamesthesweep.co.uk.
Does James the decorator work at weekends?
Yes, we do work at weekends. James the decorator takes on small and very large painting jobs. This can suit customers who often live in Tunbridge Wells, etc but work in London and need a room painted on a weekend.
Can you undertake insurance work?
Yes, James the decorator can undertake insurance work. Due to the floodings of Tonbridge, Yalding, Penshurst and Leigh in Kent, in recent years, we are getting more and more insurance-related decorating enquires.
- Blown plaster: This is plaster which is old and brittle and is not fixed to the brickwork any more.
- Elastomeric: This is a rubber-like substance designed to stretch over surfaces filling in cracks, effective in stopping roof leaks.
- Gloss paint: This paint creates the most hard and durable surface, used for wood work and furniture and in kitchens and bathrooms, because it is very thick paint, it can hide imperfections.
- Matte paint: This paint does not reflect light it has a flat finish and it can hide small imperfections on the wall. It is used for less travelled areas and ceilings.
- Paint blistering: The paint bubbles up because the surface is still wet underneath; it needs to be sanded, completely dried and repainted.
- Satin paint (eggshell): This paint provides a sheen similar to eggshells, hence the name. This type of paint can take more wear and tear than a matte finish.
- Semi gloss paint: This has a semi hard finish that can be wiped clean and is more resistant to marks and stains, suitable for bathrooms or kitchens.
Services we offer
Areas we cover
- Maresfield, East Sussex, TN22
- Ticehurst, East Sussex, TN5
- Forest Row, East Sussex, RH18
- Hartfield, East Sussex, TN7
- Wadhurst, East Sussex, TN5
- Mayfield, East Sussex, TN20
- Rotherfield, East Sussex, TN6
- Mereworth, Kent, ME18
- Plaxtol, Kent, TN15
- Shipbourne, Kent, TN11
- Golden Green, Kent, TN11
- West Peckham, Kent, ME18
- Yalding, Kent, ME18
- Horsmonden, Kent, TN12
- Lamberhurst, Kent, TN3
- Marden, Kent, TN12
- East Peckham, Kent, TN12
- Goudhurst, Kent, TN17
- Ightham, Kent, TN15
- Kemsing, Kent, TN15
- Otford, Kent, TN14
- Brasted, Kent, TN16
- Chipstead, Kent, TN13
- Riverhead, Kent, TN13
- Dunton Green, Kent, TN13
- Seal, Kent, TN15
- Sevenoaks Weald, Kent, TN14
- Sundridge, Kent, TN14
- Westerham, Kent, TN16